Old 10-01-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
DragynLady

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
Unconditional love does not mean that we unconditionally accept bad behavior. Love without boundaries......is not love.

In nature....there is no punishment.....only consequences. When an addict choses (and it is a choice) not to participate in getting well, there are consequences.

That is the baffling and cunning part of addiction. Addiction is a disease. Recovery is a choice.

gentle hugs
ke
I am currently separated from my husband. I love him deeply, and have NO intention of breaking our marriage vows, and I do not want a divorce (although he understands that if he gives in to his addictions, I will seek one for the protection of myself and my children.)

Being true to your vows does not mean accepting everything given to you by an abusive, addicted spouse. Being true to your vows means that you will love and hold them, honor and care for them... not live with them and take care of them no matter how much they hurt you.

Vows are a two way street.

Our separation is helping my husband to heal. He spent the night last night, and he has been kind, patient, and loving the entire time. He goes back to his dad's today, but that loving detachment has given me AND HIM the strength he needed to get his act together.

I hope.