Old 09-25-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
OneNightAWeek

Not sure how you can stand behind the whole AA and Alanon philosophy if you try to ignore chapter 8. I dont mind chapter 8 because I think in this day and age it is a reminder to be kind to one another, and when your married to support your loved one when they are struggling. I have trouble with all of AA and Alanon being archaic in thought though. If they knew in 1930's what they know now I dont know if it would have been created as such. But what did they know about addiction and the brain and how it all worked in 1930's, they assumed addictions were a moral failure, and addressed the signs of addiction and alcoholism more than the causes. Least I feel this way. I find the whole concept of alanons belief that everyone is automatically codependent insulting. I mean this was again written long ago when wives were mostly housewives who had their main focus on their husband and their home. They had dinner ready when he came home, and were tied in very close with his emotions and actions. Most were not career women with their own lives, or going to graduate school, and balancing it all, focusing on themselves to begin with. Ive been reading a lot of the AA writings these past months and although Ive tried, cant get behind a lot of it myself. I know take what you want and leave the rest, and then ive been told only the big book and the 12 steps are really AA, but then you get to chapter for wives. Gotta take it in too I think if you follow the book accurately.