View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
LifeRecovery

Lyssy-

I actually found this very challenging for me.

My hypervigilence was a coping mechanism for me in my life prior to meeting and living with an alcoholic.

For me it was part of my "wanting" to control the outcome/situation (even if I did not say or do anything about it). I thought if I just had ALL the information I could make the best decision and it would all turn out okay.

So for me the hypervigilence was PART of my codependency. It was the part of it that thought I was not strong enough without proof to get out if I needed to. It was the part that did not trust my gut, but needed proof.

It did improve. The first steps were like Recovering2 posted about not reading his texts, searching for bottles etc, but for me the hypervigalance was a more subtle, more nuanced trickier part to figure out (and change my behavior around). I am still actually struggling with it to a degree (and I am a ways out).

Your post has been a great reminder to me though that recovery does not happen overnight, but in stages....I want to say welcome to the next stage.

I finally realized that for me codependent behaviors were less about the behavior themselves and the "why" I was doing them (or how I felt when doing them). If I was doing them for someone else, with the intention of making it better for someone else, if the focus was off me etc it usually meant my codie tendancies were off to the races (regardless of what I was doing).