View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 03:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Dino123

I am 32 and I have I have had 3 seizures and I don't even drink hard spirits expect the odd shot here and there.

The first one happened maybe two years ago, started with loads of shaking, vomiting, itchy skin, sweating, everything out of control ( this was after two stag does and weddings etc ). I tried to go cold turkey and had I had no idea what was going on until the evening came and my partner found me on the floor having a seizure. I was sober arriving at the hospital, of course I didnt have drink that day because I was scared it would make things worse.

Second one was pretty much the same story, but after a festival summer of booze. The seizure came in the evening again and I almost bit my tongue in half.

In both cases I ended up in the A&E, but also in both cases they let me go after checking me out and making sure everything is okay.

The last one came last week, I had increased my alcohol intake in the past few months but nothing too serious, just summer fun. The seizure happened during the day at work going for lunch... again trip to A&E.

I go to AA, but as everyone knows here, its not easy not to have a drink. Actually taking it slowly is much more healthier than going cold turkey which can be deadly, believe me, but that takes a strong mind and you need somebody there to watch your drinking.

I cant stand another trip to the A&E, so I will quit slowly but surely. Cold turkey is nothing to mess with, even the doctors kind of whispered in my ear that if your hands are shaking so much that you cant drink a coffee, go and have a beer, just one.

Most of European countries offer diazepam's or benzo's to get over the extra drink you need to prevent the seizure, but that is also not the right way to go and needs a trip to the doctors.

Good luck to everyone .