View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Croissant

Originally Posted by BookNerd View Post
It was only this past summer that I really came face to face with my husband's alcoholism, that I stopped denying the seriousness of his problem, even though he's been drinking heavily for 10 years...

It makes me sad to think that the life I live every day is so messed up that "normal" people can't believe what I tell them is true.
Hi BookNerd. Unfortunately, the term alcoholic seems to have a lot of preconceived ideas/denial associated with it...which is part of the problem. You yourself say you have only just stopped denying it, so as hard as it is, your family and friends may not have the same lightbulb moment, just because you have!

If it makes you feel better, even though I have a problem with alcohol, I doubt my friends or some of my family would believe it. No one else sees what goes on behind closed doors, and you have no obligation to explain your opinion.

Even....let's just say....your husband DIDNT have a problem with alcohol....if it's affecting you, and you cannot stay in the marriage, then it's valid!

Good luck and hope it all works out.