View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
nbay2013

refusetosink;

Yeah, you just found out and it's going to take awhile to come down from the shock of it. Your story is similar to my story, but without a child and husband. I was so shocked to find out the months of caring for my Ex-AB, i.e. high blood pressure, sleep apnea, migraines, stomach issues, etc etc were all caused by to his secret life of drinking. He drank between 10 p.m and 1:00 a.m. It's taken me a long time to not think there was something wrong with me for not getting what was going on. I trusted him; why wouldn't I? Being on this forum for two months has given me so much peace. I found out how common hiding drinking is and it's not your fault.

As far as the issue of trusting him with your daughter? I would frame it the following way in your mind for now. If you found out he had a brain injury that caused him to get dizzy and pass out, both you and your husband would absolutely not let him drive, much less drive your daughter around. In fact, if you have an unexplained bout of unconsciousness, in California your license will be suspended until a doctor approves getting it reinstated. So for right now think of it as a disease he has no control over. If he is sincere about recovery he will understand and support your concern about safety issues; just as if he has untreated epilepsy. He needs treatment and time will tell if he is on board with recovery.

In the meantime, welcome and I am sending you a big hug,

Carrie