View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
lizwig

Wow Stevie. Another mom here...whose story is so similar to yours it's scary. But how can it be because my situation is so unique!??! (Just jokes!!) Like you, I have felt such tremendous growth this past year. This site and al-anon have provided such comfort and understanding. I feel like myself again. I've been struggling a bit recently coming up on a year of very little contact with my son. I had to let go of my end of the rope. There's no doubt in my mind I was going down with him. My son has had periods of sobriety so I know he knows where to turn when he is ready. I also hear about things he posts on Facebook through other family members. They don't tell me everything but if he sounds like he may be at a turning point they do. Problem is...He uses it to garner sympathy but I don't believe has any real intention of stopping just yet. If ever. I have learned from these postings that he still has a very solid group of recovered addicts telling him they'll help him however they can when he's ready for recovery...but they are very direct with him which I appreciate. This serves as a good reminder to me that I am not his only option. I'm so glad you reached out here. You sound like you have some good recovery under your belt. For parents there are additional facets to this journey. Loving detachment takes an iron will at times. Some days are definitely better than others. Welcome...I hope you find as much support here as I have.