View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
honeypig

Refusetosink, you got a lot of good advice here. I don't have much to add except a couple of links, one for Alanon meetings, which I also strongly recommend http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/ and one to some Alanon literature Amazon.com: Books . (Your local library may have some of these books also--I was surprised how many were available at the library in my county.) Doing the reading will help you a lot in understanding the aim of the meetings. As mentioned above, they are for and about YOU, not your A.

I'd also like to second the recommendation to just breathe and get your bearings. This whole drinking thing kind of blindsided you, right? My A was a secret drinker also, for years and years and years. I never knew. When I found out, I felt as if I was standing at the edge of a cliff, and every new thing I found out was as if the cliff was just crumbling away at my feet....it was a horrible feeling.

Since I was in no financial or physical danger, the advice I got from wiser heads was to give things a year before making a big decision like divorce. The same may apply to you--just do your best to educate yourself about alcoholism and take in the reality of your situation for now. Go to Alanon, read and post here, and in time, your path will start to become clear.

Take care of yourself and your child. So sorry you find yourself in this spot.