View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
LifeRecovery

Originally Posted by BookNerd View Post
Yes. It is a truth that I learn over and over again, yet I keep hoping that this time it will be different, this time I will go to them and they will really care about me, they will take me seriously...but it never happens. Instead, every time I go to them I end up being hurt and feeling stupid. I am thinking of doing some therapy actually, to help me get over this. I seem stuck. I don't know why I can't just accept that they aren't that "type" of parent, and move on.
I did not grow up with alcohol/addicted family members, but both my parents did.

I think part of what attracted me to my relationship with my loved one with alcohol problems was the familiarity of the relationship to what I saw in my family.

When I started to heal I started to realize I had a chance to heal from my relationship, but also from a lot of old, childhood stuff that I might not have gotten to without this relationship. In truth I dealt with the addiction (denial, downplaying, trying to make it perfect) in similar ways that I dealt with my family.

That is why my name is what it is....I am recovering from life....what a great opportunity.