View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Florence

Thanks guys, you have at least cheered me up a bit I appreciate everyone's encouragement and know what you are all saying is true - that the only way is to do it despite the fear. Often for me it has been easier to give up the hope or possibility of something in the future to relieve the real discomforts I've felt at that time - sort of warped instant gratification I suppose. I don't want that to be the case this time.
It's okay to be uncomfortable. You can't makes changes and achieve goals without being uncomfortable some of the time.

The way I see it, you've traded the functional, healthy discomfort (challenging yourself, trying new thing) for the dysfunctional, unhealthy discomfort (staying dissatisfied, choosing not to act and regretting not acting).

I also get in my own way. I had an argument with myself about work for two weeks over some new process which is ridiculous and causes a lot of extra work, and in the meantime, all this new work piled up behind me. It's true -- the work is dumb, and yes, I do resent having to do it. But oh, the shame I felt when my coworkers realized I wasn't toeing the line. The other day, I literally had a conversation with myself, "Florence, this is what it is now. Even if it's dumb and boring you have to do it. Shut up and do it." So I did, and it wasn't that bad.

Acceptance is the word of the day.