View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Florence

Break up the goals into smaller goals. At 8:30 I will sit at the computer. Put a blocker on your browser of choice to block Facebook and Twitter and whatever time suckers you have. Set a timer for 20 minutes. Write, no excuses for 20 minutes, then take a ten minute break. Rinse and repeat.

Who are you accountable to? If your supervisor is too loosey goosey, get a writing partner and set deadlines for peer reviews together.

All that being said, I'm terrified. Everything has just changed and I barely have a moment to catch my breath before everything is going to change again. And there is so much to organize! I'd just like some stable ground to gather myself before everything flips up again! So I think that's why I'm finding progressing with my PhD so hard, because finishing means facing yet more change. Yet not making progress brings me stress and frustration with myself, financial problems and more uncertainty. All of this is what I want! I want to finish my PhD, I want to move countries, but I'm paralysed by fear. And its so frustrating.
For me, accepting that life was full of change, and accepting that change can be scary, and also that my feelings aren't facts was the three-prong thing that got me over my fears of, well, most things.