View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Lyssy

Originally Posted by Wavy View Post
Thanks jazzfish, I really appreciate you sharing your ES&H. I have broken it down as small as it will go, set daily, even hourly, targets. 100 words an hour. Doesn't seem that hard does it? Its all there right in from of me, I know what I need to do... I'm just not doing it. I'm staring at it, half looking at it, avoiding it, pretending its not happening. My supervisor is pretty good with letting me know when things are 'good enough' to be submitted, he's not looking for perfect, but I am so far from that point it would be funny if it didn't feel like crap. I know I can do it, I've written part of it no problem, even got that bit published already, now I'm just being pathetic and trying to hide from everything I still need to do. It is both just as simple and not as simple as needing to just DO IT!!! But I can't seem to knock that into my head!
I have no experience with getting PHD's - LOL. I went to the school of hard knocks.

Would it be possible to go to your supervisor and explain your issues and get their input and/or advise? Not your issues with personal life, but with getting your PHD completed? Maybe they could add some insight or assistance with how to overcome your roadblocks?

I am with Jazzfish. I make and live by lists. I create lists for everything. Maybe instead of looking at the entire list of "to-be-done" only look at what needs to be done that hour or day instead of the overwhelming list of the total of the entire task? Make a list on Sunday for every day of the week. Then Monday morning only pull Monday's list and work on that list until complete (even if it takes all week)? That would show you progress no matter the pace.

Only suggestions - but getting a PHD is quite an accomplishment and you have my encouragement!