View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
trixie56

Originally Posted by hissycrissy View Post
So in a sense this is my fault? My fault for staying? He does have issues but does that mean I need to abandon him when he truly needs support and help to get sober? What kind of person would abandon the person they love and who loves them because they are sick?
I think there's a huge difference between leaving someone who's sick with say, leukemia, but they treat you with respect, and leaving an alcoholic who verbally abuses you and treats you like s**t. I know it's hard to cut ties with someone you care about, but you have to put your own good first. Yes, you can stay with him because you don't want to abandon him, but at what cost? More horrible treatment? Is this how you treat people you love? Is this acceptable to you? I don't think you believe it is, or else you wouldn't be here...

I don't think anyone here blames you for having feelings for him, or even having trouble leaving. I've been there myself, and many others here have, too. But please, don't stay with him because you don't want to "abandon" him because he's "sick." A relationship is about give and take, and it's a two way street. What will you get out of this if you stay? You can do much better.