View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
DrunkTx

I think many positives can come of this. First and foremost what has really worked for me is the reverse trigger - that usually happens when you can associate alcohol to generating a horrific outcome that you are certain will happen. In this case, I hope you have zero doubt that drinking in this heightened state of vulnerability will be a disaster with your husband. The last thing in the world you need is to be numb when you need your emotion now more than ever - the only way to ensure your husband knows you care.
Another bright spot is a new chance to open up communication without pointing fingers - "honey I'm so proud and scared at the same time. A tough 16 days, which I know is hard for you to grasp - did you know that prior to that I was hiding my drinks so you wouldn't catch me? I get now that my sobriety is for me, but whether or not I have a problem, you are a good enough reason for me not to chance it with another drink!"
And by far my favorite upside of sobriety - realizing that you have nothing to lose with true honesty with self. If in your shoes I would simply say - I saw the pop ups, it is making me incredibly anxious but I also know that I love you. I can't force your loyalty, but I hope that everything we have had up until today can help us navigate tomorrow. Just tell him the truth with no expectation, and he just might surprise you.