View Single Post
Old 09-15-2013, 08:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
cynical one
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

Originally Posted by halliegrants View Post
He told me he hasn't "used" in years (not counting scripts). I thought that was a good thing, right? Does that sound like I'm making excuses? I believe him, I just wanted some feedback about what recovery might look like since obviously these meds are still in his life & not always in his system in a consistent fashion. How do other folks go about taking meds (like Xanax) for anxiety & not accidently take too many? That's why he gives his meds to his dad to hold. But if his dad withholds them it throws off his balance.
Suboxone isn't a take as needed medication, it should be taken at the same time everyday...depending on his dosage it could be a few times a day. There should always be a therapeutic level in his system in a consistent fashion. Xanax on the other hand is generally a take as needed medication like if someone has anxiety when flying, or is prone to panic attacks...though it also can be taken on a regular basis too.

Having a loved one control the medication and be the pill police rarely works. Either the addict becomes abusive demanding the doses and the loved one can't say no when the addict makes demands, or the loved one withholds the prescribed amount. And, in the case of the Xanax unless his dad is shadowing him 24/7 he could have a full blown anxiety attack before he could get his medication.

And, as I said above, he should not be having sloppy days at all unless he's abusing other drugs or the drugs he is prescribed.