View Single Post
Old 09-15-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
TheGirlisTrying

This makes me so sad because I can identify with it very much.
I was hesitant in my reply to your last thread because I believe in folks making their own decisions and interpretations of what is going on. And you will do that.
But please realize that you are making excuses for him already. People are wondering why you are with him because there is truly a reason to question why you are with him. My own mother forbid me from seeing the addict I dated because of the reputation he had. So I moved out of the house. His family was thrilled because they saw him dating me was a good sign. I felt all warm and fuzzy because I was giving someone who had a bad wrap a chance and some new positive, "street cred." It feels so good to be the one person who understands him and will be by his side, right? Right.
All that is just co-dependency in action. And after 5 years and some reflecting on myself, I know exactly why he has the reputation he has/had and exactly why I was always feeling so good about giving him a shot. I down right hated his family for not being sympathetic to my boyfriends needs. Now I know why they weren't. They been there, and done that. And were burned. Now I find myself taking the same approach with him they did. I owe them all an apology, but sometimes you just have to learn on your own.
I'm 99% sure that you have been exposed to an addictive relationship is your past and were taught at some point to enable. This situation you are in is more about you than him. I wish I could write something that would stop you from going down this path with an addict, I really do. But you have to be ready to recognize and realize that it is you who also has a problem right now. And help yourself.
Hugs. If you go down this road you'll need a lot if hugs.