Old 09-10-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
incitingsilence

You know …

His mother turning the house upside down to protect him from himself isn’t healthy either.

This is where most have problems. HE IS AN ADDICT. Yeah I know he is in treatment, but this is the beginning ... just no using doesn't mean you aren't still in active addiction… And it didn’t all matter what drugs were or weren’t in the home, it seems he already had the relapse planned, for whatever the reason. If he didn’t you would have never had to ask to begin with if there were drugs there … he would have said something or finished the stash before he left. If an addict wants to use they will, end of story. Interference may delay them, but it certainly won’t stop them. Understanding what is going on in his head, not possible.

It isn’t your job to pick his truth from his lies.

Do not take the lies personal as they aren’t. And remember it still will always be the lies that you tell yourself that will do the most damage.

And really what would you do with the truth … If you asked and he said yes there are and I am going to use them … what could you do, would you do … and really should you do anything at all?

Acceptance goes a long way as well.
Accepting he is an addict, accepting you have no control over anyone’s thoughts, feelings, actions, well except your own.
Accepting that you are capable as is he, of finding your way.

The run comment... don't worry about it. I knew I didn't run. It made no sense to at the time. In the end I am grateful for the path I took, if I didn't get to where I ended up from that initial choice I doubt I would be as healthy or sane as I am now...I learned so much, even why I didn't run, he was an awesome open door to a past I loved and hated at the same time.