View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ProgressNotPerfection

IAM -

Congrates on 40+ days now!! Another flucking miracle! Indeed!

I can so relate to depression in recovery - what's the point, right?

Here is what I've learned about my depression-in-recovery:

Focus on gratitude. If there are two ways of looking at something and I'm looking at the negative, look at it the other way. For example, lets say I got into an argument with my wife today and we talked it out. I can be grateful that we talked it out or bummed out we argued again. My choice.

Keep On Moving - This is the most important thing, after staying clean and sober -- my depression would have me sitting on the couch all day, or in bed. Seriously, I can stay in bed for days, weeks if I let my depression get the best of me. I've been know to sit on the couch and stare at the TV and the damned thing isn't even on. BUT!! If I get busy, clean house, go for a walk, anything to keep moving - the depression isn't so bad - in fact, studies show that exercise is as good as medication and the both of them together is great. So I have to keep on moving if I want to beat it.

Service Work - making coffee at meetings, arriving 1/2 hour early and staying 1/2 hour late really makes a difference. It is the difference between being around the program and being in the program. I really appreciate you posting on this board as it has given me the chance to get out of myself today! So thanks!

Phone Numbers - Having phone numbers to call when I'm down really helps. I use them. They don't do any good to me if I don't pick up the phone - which is better than picking up a drink, no?

Sponsors - They ain't no big deal in terms of asking them. See someone that appears happy, joyous and free who talks about working the steps at the meetings? Ask them! Go for it! Sponsors are like clothes: when they are worn out, we change them.

THIS TO SHALL PASS! Perhaps like bad gas in the night, but it will pass! It isn't easy but it is simple!

Start with choosing some of the possible solutions you've been presented with and put them into action!

See you around the boards!

Johnny