Old 09-09-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
honeypig

This same thing was discussed on another thread just recently, regarding other problems besides just the drinking. If your AH is working some kind of program that stresses honesty, responsibility, personal growth, etc., as being part of achieving and maintaining sobriety, then yes, he has a good chance of fixing those character defects in sobriety also.

If all he is doing is removing alcohol from the equation, then it is much less likely that there will be other changes, and you may find yourself living w/a "dry drunk."

How about you? What are you doing to heal yourself? Again, if you are waiting for things to become better w/o making any changes in yourself (and believe me, it would be SO unusual if you were not messed up in any way yourself as a result of living with alcoholism), you're likely to be disappointed here too.

I wish I had gone to Alanon when I first thought he had returned to drinking instead of waiting and relying on HIM to fix everything. I surely would have been in a better place to handle what ended up coming out 4 years later....

ETA: I'm not saying that you HAVE to start a new thread, simply that a new thread is likely to attract more replies than one that is years old and many pages long. If you're happy w/the number of replies you're getting, then by all means, keep doing as you are. If you'd like more feedback, you know how to get that too. Your choice.