View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by ErsatzMatriarch
there has to be another way
There are myriad other ways.
Originally Posted by ErsatzMatriarch
for what keeps me sober? beyond just not picking up and actually liking not being drink all the time, i don't really know why i'm sober right now.
I can only speak for myself. I am a non drinker because I decided that. What keeps me from drinking is the fact that drinking had no place in my life, nor will it ever have a place. That's it. Nothing mysterious or supernatural about it. I don't drink and I don't experience undesirable consequences from drinking. I quit drinking to be free, to no longer be dependent, so being dependent on a group would put me right back in a prison of sorts.

As far a children go, when you are absent from their lives, you are absent from their lives. It matter not to them the reason. It still feels the same. Not there for bedtime stories means not there. Period. A noble reason for being gone is lost on a child, as they are not short grown ups. They are children, and not for long, I might add.

Fine a way that honors you and your family. Many have.