View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
irisgardens

I truly hope that you will be able to let your mother get out...in any way, shape or form you can.

Addicts will turn on you for anything...no matter how compassionate and kind and wonderful you are...and you sound like all three.

Have been through this with my mother and sister (alcohol)...and my middle daughter (crystal meth--only drinking now)--the selfish piece seems to have been there before and have found that both sets turned on me...one set after dad died 13 years ago (no longer needed my compassion and willingness to stand by them) and now (no longer have the financial security to 'give' what daughter believes she deserves from life although she and her twin daughters lived with us for 7 years so that we could 'help' her...but she is fine now and has turned her back and is being aggressive and angry with me...and still seeking to manipulate dad...who is coming out of that...thank you God.

It took all the kids blaming me (I was the codependent who helped 2 daughters with their drug addictions and hubby with a business that didn't make money) for hubby to 'see' that it was really bad for me and that the fruits of my giving were to be blamed and turned on and refused a bed when I didn't have a place to sleep (long story)...even though my money paid 1/2 of the security deposit daughter is living in and our credit got the apartment for us in a hard time which we 'shared' with daughter and two twins so she wouldn't go 'down'.

I am a much wiser person today. I am very disappointed but glad to be alive and working and to realize that drugs and alcohol and the people who use them...even when family and who I love and want to be better...can only help themselves and need to hit bottom before they are ready...their bottom...not mine. They will take us down with them.

I can only hope that my experience is helpful to someone...as I am really working my program...and being as realistic as possible about those I love and care about...and always have; always will; and I have learned that those I give to, will most often turn on me when I am in need...so in recovery will improve and hopefully find better people for me in this lifetime.