Thread: Starting Over
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
DaveyT

Originally Posted by Received View Post
Cool. You "sound" grounded. I'm glad.
I'm not sure what grounded means but I feel better than I have been, at least mentally. I feel myself less inclined to reach for the bottle when I'm in awful pain, instead I try my best to ride it out and wait for the pain killers to kick in. Psychologically I don't need alcohol anymore, it's more about pain management after this length of time. In the morning when I wake up my first thought used to be alcohol, now I just take my pills and wait in bed for an hour or so until the pain dies down. A nice hot shower helps relieve the pain further.

I will be discussing things with the pain clinic again. I'm obviously not an expert on pain management but I'm hoping they can give me something that I can take during the pain spikes that's temporary on top of my usual stuff. They have adjusted things so I feel a little less cloudy but it's lead to a general increase in pain so I'm sure they can give me something else to deal with that. It's all about experimenting with doses and medications.

I need a small dose of something to deal with the pain when I try and do things though, just something which can fix me for a few hours until the major pain dies down. My illness doesn't cause pain right away when I do stuff, it's the day after when I wake up almost screaming. A short term thing I can take that will last a few hours woudl be really helpful.