View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 01:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
awuh1
Sober Alcoholic

First of all the Herbert Spencer quote is not by Herbert Spenser. If your reaction to this assertion is contempt, please investigate this article. http://www.aabibliography.com/pdffil..._Quotation.pdf

What this thread has made me think of is the inherent need that most, if not all, human beings have for "individuation". That is, the need to be separate and unique individuals. I think this need is far more pronounced in most alcoholics than it is in the general population. I also believe this is why, for many alcoholics, the idea of achieving sobriety by a method not entirely of their own invention seems distasteful. Thus LadyBlue, the idea of “turning” their “will and life over to the care of” anything other than themselves seems blatantly abhorrent.

In the same vain, following suggestions seemingly deprives that individual of their will, and thus, their individuality. And so you have those who are unwilling to attempt even simple suggestions.

People cannot get the benefits of the 12 steps by reading them. They will never understand them until they are put into action. I believe this is because these understandings are “beyond the confines of mere rationalism”. It’s something you can’t “get” intellectually.

Thanks LadyBlue for starting this thread. I fear however that the only people who will get it are those who have already gotten it. My hope is that perhaps a few will be encouraged to find out for themselves.