View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  
DG0409

Johnny- Have you read up on PAWS?? Why We Don’t Get Better Immediately: Post-acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) | What...Me Sober? Is it possible that some of your feeling bad is related to that? Maybe it's not my place to say this, but I think a lot of the time depression is a sign that we need to change things in our lives. Things like a healthy diet, getting exercise, eliminating alcohol, cigarettes and other drugs from our lives, etc. can go a really long way.

I too suffer from quite a bit of depression at times, although I try not to talk about it much. I kind of felt like, "Of course I feel bad: I drink all the time, I smoke pot all the time, I smoke a pack of cigarettes a day, I drink 3 pots of coffee a day, I don't get exercise, I barely eat, no wonder I feel like $hit." So although it may be tempting to go and get anti-depressants myself, I feel kind of like that would be avoiding the real causes of my depression. Maybe the antidepressants aren't working for you because the cause of your bad feelings isn't some inherent chemical imbalance in your brain, but rather due to lifestyle? I know it's hard to get the motivation to do things like exercise when you feel bad, but sometimes, you just gotta make yourself because you're so sick and tired of feeling bad you want to do anything possible to make it better.

Of course, I'm not a Dr. and I'm not qualified to give medical advice and that is all kind of just my opinion.

And we're always glad to have you posting here. One thing I've noticed is how much things have changed for many of us here and I think seeing that will give you motivation to really stick to the sobriety thing when you're ready. It does get better if you just don't drink.

SJ- Maybe it's not my place to say this either, but both your plan and your husband's plan make very little sense to me. Going back to school for a degree so you can get a job you don't really want seems like a crazy thing for either one of you to do. Why not work towards jobs that you both would enjoy? There's a million ways to make money, so why pick things that you don't want to do?

Dee- hope the headache has gotten better. Migraines suck.

SB- Hope the time with your friend wasn't as bad as feared.

Goat- How did the meeting with the potential client go? Any luck?

Drake- Hope the singing gig goes well.

I'm still a bit sick. Really wishing that I would hurry up and get better as I have a ton to do at work, and more is just piling up while I lie in bed doing nothing.

But it's day 137 no alcohol and day 37 no weed. It's actually kind of hard for me to believe in a way. I'm thinking to give up caffeine next... I've read several places that it's not recommended for recovering addicts and can increase anxiety. My life used to revolve around coffee, cigarettes, weed and alcohol, so in a way I group them all together and would like to be rid of all of them. But once I get rid of the caffeine, that would mean no more drugs for me at all of any kind which would be really cool!!! I feel a bit like a magician always able to pull another addiction out of the hat that I need to quit.