View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ACOAHappyNow

Unhappy Thank you all so much. I looked back through my orders

On a big etailer all have heard of (not sure if its okay to name it here) and I saw I sent "It Will Never Happen To Me" to my Dad in 2008 and "Under the Influence" in 2011.

I bet he never read them. I bet they got thrown out because as he and his current wife kept saying, there is no drinking problem here, we are just perfect.

I wrote to him when I was 25 and again in my late 40s begging him to stop drinking, getting only defensive and angry replies. The one I sent five years ago got a reply of, "I've been drinking all my life, and Im old now and don't have many years left, so just leave me alone."

Last year, I offered to get him rehab with the hospitals here, he said no.

He's not talking to me anymore, and I think in part it's because he knows I was right and he can't hide behind denial anymore.

I'm trying not to obsess about it all but I guess Im not trying hard enough.

I just think, what a wasted life he had, littered with failed relationships, brushes with the law, abuse of children he had power over, and him always in a fog of negativity and depression and cynicism because of the alcoholism.

He got things accomplished, he was a hard worker, but from the outside his life looked like misery and sadness and I always wished for better for him and tried to lead him but he wouldn't follow.

No one can say I never tried to help him.