View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Nighthawk8820
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
Good morning everyone Day 31 here, and I have mostly only been posting on the July class thread during this stretch of sobriety but I have something I wanted to share to see if anyone has any insight.

As I mentioned, this is not my first attempt at sobriety by any means, but hopefully my last. During the last two weeks or so, I have been experiencing a huge inability to focus and irritability. At work and at home, I have so many things to be done but can barely accomplish a task completely, never know where to begin, etc.. I can cry at any given moment and fly off the handle at the smallest things. Also, I am noticing that I am going through what seem to me to be like OCD stuff (on a very small scale). Certain things have to be "just so"- I have to use the right pen, the lights have to be at a certain brightness, things have to go EXACTLY according to plan or I freak out. Those are just examples. I know that I am isolating myself, I have little or no interest to be with anyone besides my own children, and even they know when I need to be left alone. My mother, who knows nothing about my quitting drinking, seems to think it's depression. I have had depression before but always attributed it to alcohol, so now I'm just stumped. I'm trying to take it easy on myself, but I feel so stuck and frustrated. I have had up to 2 months of sobriety and varying other times in between but I have never experienced anything like this. If anything, I was always on top of my game when I was sober. Now I feel almost like I'm drinking and hungover again in certain aspects. In fact, sometimes I wake up the next day and think of my behavior the night before and really have to remind myself that I didn't drink. Any idea what this could be, what to do??

I do LOVE being sober and am enjoying so many of the benefits. My cravings have diminished somewhat as well, thankfully. But now that I feel a little bit less in the chains of alcohol, now I feel restricted by some of this other stuff in my head. Feeling like I'm going crazy or something !

Its just withdrawal, and perfectly normal. It takes a long time for the body to go back to "normal" and to heal. Look up PAWS if you havent already heard of it. Its something we all run into and can be a bummer if you arent aware of what it is. Congrats on the 2 weeks.