Old 08-12-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Boleo
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post

... we need to be CONSTANTLY VIGILANT about our condition. It doesn't matter if you're sober 1 month, 1 year, or 10 years, this kind of thinking problem is hard-wired in our brains. We must remember to continue to work on our condition every day, and never forget how easy it is to go back to that dark place.
I wish more people in recovery would talk about this "thinking problem" we have. I have found that every single defect of character. Every single incident of bad behavior and even drinking itself was do to one and only one shortcoming - delusional thinking.

I have also found that there is only one thing I need to continue to be vigilant of -delusional thinking. I have gotten the best results in both recovery and spiritual growth simply by staying focused on this one dark place in my thinking.

When I use the term "delusional", I am not saying it is stupid, foolish or even inferior thinking. I am specifically referring to the self-deception aspect of it. I catch myself lying to myself hundreds of times a day and that is only the tip of the ice-burg as far as I can tell.

Is it no wonder that delusional thinking is considered to be the equivalent of original sin in Eastern religions?