Thread: Starting Over
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
DaveyT

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
I thought exactly the same thing and I knew when I saw Carl had replied first he'd probably have caught it too.

Congrats on what you're doing and I know you might feel like we misunderstood what you were trying to say - but trust me, it's language like this that gets you in trouble. You HAVE to get drinking out of your future. There are no "someday" or "maybe" references in regards to drinking. It is OUT and there's nothing you can do about it. Picture your drinking life as a grain of sand, thrown off the highest mountain. It can never be found, do not even bother looking for it. Move on, like any sane person would.

Good luck.
I am grateful for your input but you must understand that I'm a realist. When I mention the possibility of drinking in future it's merely my attempt to not kick myself as I used to if failure occurs. Long ago I said that I would not drink again, then when it happened I kicked myself so hard that I ended up on week long benders, drink after drink. By allowing myself the possibility of screwing up while actively resisting it I can forgive myself if things go bad and get straight back on the sober path. This approach allowed me to stay sober longer than I ever have.

Remember that while many people can be hlped by a set program, some people need a very personalised system. So far I think I am one of these people. As stated if things go bad in the next couple of months, even a single drink then I will have to assess my approach to sobriety as obviously it would not be working.

Still I appreiciate your input, along with others.

Anyway I'm going to leave you all for now, I have run out of pain meds so I'm going to take some other the counter stuff as a stop gap and hope I can get to sleep. The pain is really creeping in right now. I'm so glad the shops are shut and I have my friend arranged for the morning. She will get what I need as soon as the pharmacy opens. I hate taking painkillers but it's better than alcohol and the pain clinic/my doctor are keeping a close eye on the dose.

Good news about that. I've been todl they're considering dropping my codeine dose and using a third medication. So all my medicines wil be low dose but culmulative. Seems a good idea to me.