Thread: Starting Over
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
DaveyT

Thank you everyone for the replies, concern and support, I thought I should address some stuff.

I understand the mentions of the "beast" however as I don't quite subscribe to the RR or AVERT approaches it doesn't quite fit with my mindset. I think some people, and I must include myself in this, must have a very individualised approach to recovery. For me being a realist is important. When I mention the possibility of future relapses I do that because if I just said "it won't happen again" and then it did, well I would be back in the cycle of beating myself up over a failure. By accepting the possibility of relapse I can avoid this cycle without making it more likely.

If I have a relapse again within the next say 3 months, then I will have to look again at my approach as it obviously isn't good enough.

You are right, I have come a long way. From someone who was drinking every day, often stupid amounts, then to someone who tried to trick himself into thinking he could have the occasional drink (seriously lol) to the realisation I must stick to a sober lifestyle. And I stuck to it for a period of time that I just hadn't been able to achieve for years. My health has improved, at least as much as it can and my mental wellbeing is very much improved.

I'm going to keep aiming for a sober life, the important thing is I am committed, there is no going back to that stupid drinking I used to be into. It wasn't a good way to be.