Thread: Starting Over
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DaveyT View Post
Oh no no I am not rationalising anything, I just think it's better not to kick myself like I used to if things go wrong. Kicking myself like that was what resulted in repeated relapses, once I stopped doing that (and got my pain management under control) I had my first good sober period.
This makes sense to me, Davey. Others are free to see it otherwise from their own experiences, goes without saying of course. I'm not one for cookie-cutter one-size fits all. I can see how you have personalized your recovery plan to fit YOU. I don't see you excusing yourself.

As some people here know, I too dealt with horrific physical pain for many years, and having that under control while drinking of course never worked well, as you know for yourself Davey. Kicking yourself for relapsing is not good. Some people need to revamp themselves for relapsing, and some people really just need to keep to the original plan when its otherwise working. Good to know you're moving past your relapse.

I suppose I'm saying that not everybody is required to do something different simply because of a relapse. Certainly if the relapses become the new normal, yeah, things need to change.

For you though Davey, getting your pain management going without using alcohol is a real accomplishment and is in fact a change in its own right too. Awesome!