Thread: Lost
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering2

When my BF was new in recovery, it was difficult. He was very involved in AA, and all the other things he did as part of his recovery. I didn't seem to fit into the schedule. I knew to give him the space to do what he needed to do. But I wasn't about to sit around and wait for him to make my life good again. I got involved in AlAnon, and got busy with other things. I made time with friends, I trained for a race.

It did get better, took about 5 months before things started to feel slightly normal. We're 8 months in at this point, and we still have our struggles, but it's much better. And we spend more time together.

If he or she is new to recovery, and you want the relationship to survive long term, I would suggest you give it more time. Are you going to AlAnon? That would be a great way to support recovery, and get support for yourself during this period of time. I think we often think if our partner would stop drinking all would be good again. The road is not that straight and easy, there are lots of winding curves along the way.

I wish you the best.