Thread: Lost
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Most people are lousy company when they are newly sober. I was VERY happy I lived alone when I got sober--living with me would have been no picnic! All I can really suggest is that you not look to him during this time for support, fun, companionship, or much of anything. I know it doesn't feel fair, and it really isn't, but this disease isn't fair.

IF he works his program to the very best of his ability, this phase will pass. Your relationship may never be exactly the same as it was when you met and fell in love. It may be better in many ways, but it WILL be different. I've been married to two alcoholics in early recovery--one stayed recovered and the other went back to drinking. Both of them were difficult to live with early on. The one that stayed recovered I eventually divorced, but not because he was a bad husband--the relationship just didn't feel right to me anymore. We are still good friends, though.

I suggest you use this time to build a life that makes YOU happy, get your support and companionship from friends for a while, and see how things go. I know it's tough. Hang in there, and keep the focus on you.