View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lizatola

Spouse's depression: do you step in?

My AH has been seriously depressed and it's been gradually getting worse over the past few days. Today he is laying in bed, wrapped up in a blanket, on the mattress cover because I washed all the sheet sets today. I asked him if he was going to be Ok and he said, "Sure". A good friend of his passed away on Thursday so I'm assuming this was the triggering event.

He is on antidepressants so I don't know if I should step in and call his psych doc in the AM or if I should call 911 and get him checked at the hospital to see if other meds would help or if I should just leave well enough alone and let him sleep it off today? Everyone has different ways of handling depression and stress and he shuts down sometimes. He has had a few episodes like this in the past, but usually he was more functioning and would at least communicate in basic form. He hasn't eaten in 2 days, either. He basically hasn't moved for around 20 hours now except to use the restroom. I am tempted to ask him if he feels he's a danger to himself, but again I don't think he'll answer me or

I'm doing the best I can, hanging out in the other room with my son watching some tennis and HGTV. He has plans to go out and play a practice match with a friend tonight so that gets us out of the house later for a few hours. The dog should be fine and will probably take a nap with AH. I have a call in to some program friends and hope to hear from them later, including my sponsor.