View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FT

Hi Kitty, and welcome.

I have my own opinions about repetitive relapses, because I have done that myself. And I also can tell you what finally worked.

The trouble with "relapsing" is that you are not really "relapsing" at all. Even being so-called-sober for years does not make you a non-drinker -- if your mind is constantly on when and if you will ever drink again, you are merely a "paused" drinker.

The definition of "clean" can become a hot argument, so I don't want to start that here. You should be proud of those five years you were "paused."

For me, I had to finally "self-identify" myself as a non-drinker. I had never had any trouble considering myself a non-smoker, even during the few times I tried to smoke. I started thinking of drinking the same way. Once I had made the decision that I was no longer a drinker, as a newborn "non-drinker"I found it much easier to not drink, even with many people drinking around me.

I have been a "non-drinker" for over twenty years now. I am no longer "paused" and eventually it became effortless, or nearly so, to remain that way.

I have recently had to apply the same technique to opiates, after a heavy bout with serious surgeries.

These days, I am a "non-user of mind altering substances." I like the freedom that kind of self identification brings. No one ever questions why I don't use. I just don't.

By the way, I found AVRT after figuring out my problem for myself. I think it comes the closest to what I did for myself.