View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
lillamy

One of those "hoard" reasons is the fear of giving up anything "just in case".
Yes.
I've been holding on to things because
a) I had no comfort or feeling of "home" in my marriage, so I held on to things that connected me to a time or place where I did have that feeling. And
b) In my marriage, I lived in a constant fear of deprivation. When my partner went with me to the storage unit for the first time, his first question was "WHY do you have TWO vacuum cleaners? Why do you have a vacuum cleaner in storage?" and all I could say was "well... if the one I have at home breaks..." and he filled in "if the one you have at home breaks, it's cheaper for you to buy a new one than to pay $100 a month for a storage unit to store another old one in..."

There are a lot of behaviors I had that were directly related to my marriage. Another one is that I shopped at Costco and always had enough canned food and dry goods to feed my family for at least six weeks at any given time. My new partner freed me of that too -- he figured out that it was that fear of the future that comes from living with a person who may or may not drink all the grocery money before next payday. So he bought me one of those "emergency survival food supply" buckets and said "here's 72 hours worth of food for you and the kids. It takes up no space. And you won't be throwing out green beans that expired two years ago anymore."

He's a good man. And he gets me.