View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
interrupted

Originally Posted by pravchaw View Post
Please understand this is a disease. If she will accept treatment then you should try to make it available to her.
Treatment is already available to her whenever she decides she is ready to quit. The Salvation Army is free. She has to want this for herself, the opportunity to choose sobriety is always available, it's nobody's job to provide her with this opportunity because it exists now and has always existed.

Originally Posted by pravchaw View Post
You might want to start the divorce proceedings but tell her that if she takes action to correct herself and get into treatment, you will not follow through.
This is manipulation and in the end it will only create resentment. The decision to get clean needs to come from her genuine desire to recover, forcing her into treatment is unlikely to result in long term recovery.

She is an adult. She can make decisions for herself and should be afforded the respect and dignity to do so even when they're not the decisions that we like.

Just as it is her right to continue to use, it's your right to protect yourself through separation or divorce. If her mom wants to keep bailing her out of her consequences then perhaps she should be the one to live with her as an active addict.

I'm sorry that you find yourself in this situation, but it sounds like you're handling it in a healthy way. I will not allow drugs or drug users in my house, either.