Old 07-16-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grungehead
Grateful

Originally Posted by AnxiousAspie View Post
Does valium/diazepam actually help ease the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal? Does it calm anxiety and panic attacks? The doctor just prescribed me some but I am terrified to take them in case of adverse effects and in case it makes the panic attacks worse. I havnt drank in four days and I am getting major anxiety and panic attacks and sweating a lot. Will it help? Thank you
Yes it does help. How much? That depends on the person, the dose, the severity of the withdrawal, etc.

Originally Posted by AnxiousAspie View Post
He said it would help with withdrawal in general, and mainly panic and anxiety, and he said my withdrawal is not severe but moderate . I have been drinking for 2 years
If your doctor said it would help I would trust him. Just follow the directions of your doctor and I think you will find that you will get some relief.

BTW my doctor gave me Ativan for withdrawal which is very similar to Valium and it helped a lot. Just make sure you don't take the Valium longer than your doctor prescribed as they can become addictive if taken too long.