View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
zbear23

Alcoholism is, more than anything, a loss of control: I drank even when I did'nt want to. I've heard many in AA describe themselves as alcoholics (no control) from the very first drink. Alcoholism has nothing to do with how long you've been drinking.

This may not make any sense to you, but I detect an "alcoholic thought process" in your posts. It is familiar to me because I have it as well, and it has taken much time and effort (and AA) for me to overcome it. What an alcoholic thinks is reasonable, others often see as insane. It's a thinking problem, not a drinking problem. Beware half measures and procrastination.

I had to surrender my "brilliant" thinking to the direction of AA (which really IS brilliant). I finally acknowledged that I could not overcome my insanity through my insane thinking.

Best of luck and, better yet, may you be blessed with successful recovery.

And the fact is that only a small percentage of alcoholics get any treatment beyond detox. AA is full of them. Sometimes treatment merely turns people into educated drunks. I don't know anyone who has been able to think their way out of alcoholism. I was in treatment 6 times. But I stayed sober in AA.