View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Itchy
Re-Member

Welcome to SR Wilber,
I know exactly how you felt. I don't do religion and dislike it and the Lord's prayer being forced on me at the end. While not an atheist, and feeling access to a higher power, I still don't do or deny the beliefs of others. Too bad so many don't reciprocate that tolerance. I did AA and here because I needed face to face with folks that didn't judge, and had been where I had been. In addition to my counseling, doc, and supportive friends and family. I took what I could use from AA and left the rest. AVRT was not on my radar because I wanted camaraderie, and people around me. AVRT seems to appeal to folks wanting to keep it secret locally. Another secular alternative is SMART, and there are still a few chapters meeting in some places. I was a well health counselor at one point in my life and was an adherent and was trained in reality therapy and RET, which both SMART draw most of their rational irrational concepts from. I needed more and for three months here and AA. Then after three months I used just Sober Recovery and realized my friends here helped a lot. I am coming up on three years sober. I am recovered which does not mean I can drink moderately. Just that I have moved beyond self medicated self-indulgence.

I am not deprived, Just had my fill.

Many use here alone. If you need other structures that include face to face and free then AA, and SMART if you are lucky enough to have one near are your best bets. AVRT may suit you too. Check out the secular sections here as well.

If you read here enough you realize that recovery methods and methodologies can be as intolerant of each other as religions can be. Whatever works for another is fine by me. When people start book thumping to frighten or demean my or another's choices, I have to walk away.

Having said all that, when you are up to your axe in alligators, it is hard to remember your original objective was to drain the swamp.

Stay sober, and fight that fight with us here together.

It does not matter if you are religious or atheist, AVRT or AA. What matters is you, and your commitment to yourself, family, and friends, to stay sober and in their lives by staying in life. Drinking can take us away that way too.

So git r dun, however, and whatever way you can.