View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 12:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
brightstar43

Parallel I feel for you and also can identify with your feelings too. My relationship has ended due to my boyfriends alcoholism. For the last few months thoughts of the future with him have been the focus of my thoughts; I've asked myself countless times why I would want a committed future with him while he still needs to drink. The hard part is the fact that he is not a nasty drunk but his drinking caused problems due to the fact I always felt less important than the pub. I'm a member of al anon and the women who live with active alcoholism generally have to work their programme very hard. Your boyfriend is still young by the sounds of it but alcoholism is progressive and I think you would be taking a massive gamble on your future. I feel for you, it's so sad how alcoholism affects the people who love the alcoholic. The good thing is that you don't go until next year so you have time to gain more insight. Like yourself I have issues with codependency and being with an alcoholic triggers those issues and causes me to be affected greatly. I ended up obsessed with my relationship and the problems his drinking was causing me. When I look back its not normal for your thoughts to be mainly about your relationship. I can relate to the anxiety, worry and sadness you feel, I feel it too. That's what another's alcoholism does to the people directly involved. Listen to the wisdom of others on this forum, those who have lived the life that you are contemplating...it's helped me to come to my decision.