View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
theuncertainty

Welcome to SR, PrinMel.

Originally Posted by PrinMel View Post
It feels to me like if I walk out the door, I'm giving up on him. I love him and I'm gonna turn around and leave when he obviously needs someone to make sure that at the end of the day he is safe? That seems wrong to me.
I felt the same way about AXH, but there were other issues that made my decision to leave necessary. You're the only one who knows what your situation is like and what steps your're able to take to keep your life and that of your little one on an even keel.

Keeping him safe.... He's an adult, not an infant.... What I do know is AXH was at a point where he was passing out on the couch nearly daily. He was drinking so much that every penny he earned went towards his habit. Towards the end, he never gave me any part of his paycheck to put towards the household expenses, and he often pulled out large amounts of money from the account that only my paycheck was deposited to. My point isn't the monetary value, it's that it is a _lot_ of alcohol. It's an incredibly dangerous amount.

Anything that happened to him as a result of being drunk could happen whether I was there or not. And I couldn't be with him 24/7 (taking care of DS, working a full-time job so we had at least part of one income to live on), so he'd have to keep himself safe or deal with the consequences.

I couldn't make AXH stop drinking. I couldn't keep him safe. I _could_ take steps to keep DS and I safe and make our lives better. It's up to you, PrinMel, what steps you take and when.