View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 10:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
CarryOn

Welcome PrinMel. You cannot make him see. Put his burden down, it's not yours to carry. It sounds like you actually understand more than many of us do when we are first coming here - alcohol is his #1 priority and you sound like you are *almost* ready to focus on yourself (& your child) first. One of the first things I learned in coming to this site was the Three C's - you did not Cause it, you can not Control it, you can not Cure it. There is nothing you can do or say to him to make him quit drinking, only he can do that for himself.

What you can do is take care of yourself. Educate yourself about alcoholism, seek support through counseling and/or Al-Anon (I strongly recommend Al-Anon), and start taking care of you - figure out what you want in life and whether or not this it. It is hard, I know, I'm still trying to figure it out. The book Codependent No More by Melody Beattie is a real eye-opener.

I'm sorry for what has brought you here, but I am glad you reached out for support & found us. Read the stickies at the top of the forum, stick around to read & post. More posters will be along to answer your questions.