Old 07-09-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
DoubtfulDebs

Originally Posted by SoberArtistGirl View Post
People don't usually push or even notice. It's always a much bigger deal for me than it is for them. Dealing with it does get easier and 'smoother' over time.
same, just because our minds at first obsess on drink 24/7 doesn't mean everyone does!

i just say 'i don't drink' and if anyone asks 'why?' 1. i pretty much know they have a problem themselves, sorry but it's true in my experience, which i don't say to get a judgemental kick but rather so in know i may be talking to that person's AV/beast at some point, and

2. i dont even bother trying to explain, because explanations invite criticism (sometimes anyway, especially if the other person is an addict) so i just look at them like they've said something COMPLETELY inappropriate and unpleasant, like they've admitted to molesting cattle or something and say 'i just don't like to' - which is true now, because i don't like to kill myself, act like an idiot, and all the other crud that made me STOP in the first place!

spotting when you're talking to someone else's beast is handy, especially early on, because they can really try and undermine you, someone i know went off on a MAJOR rant at me once about 'why can't you have just the one and enjoy it with a meal' which was EXACTLY what my own AV liked to say and what had many, many times undermined my good intentions before i found AVRT!

it'd be funny if it wasn't sad...

anyway sorry to ramble but just cut the conversation dead if it seems likely you'll be dealing with 2 beasts at once (yours and theirs) because really, who needs that?!