View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 12:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
niijikwe

He will beg me to stay..

I have decided I am leaving my alcoholic BF if he does not stop drinking.

We've been down the whole road of : him getting pills from his dr. , trying to cut down, drink every other day, taper down to only weekends etc etc... it doesnt work.

Im finally emotionally ready to leave. He is emotionally abusive to me and Im finally strong enough to recognize it and act on ending it.

Problem is-- I know tomorrow or the next day he will beg me to stay. He already mumbled (drunk) today that he was going to talk to me about "the drinking will stop". I am not this naive, of course.

If I was to offer an alternative (knowing and having no hope in him doing it) , do you think saying, "The only way I can stay is if you do inpatient detox/ initial withdrawal phase for a week - or whatever they recommend, and then start therapy or AA...."

Because I KNOW he will not quit unless 'forced' in an inpatient setting. I know he needs education about alcohol abuse.

Or-- do I just follow thru with my plan and offer no alternative.

Realistically... offering the plan will likely only help me feel like I did all I could. There isnt a big chance he will do that. and he has his boss at work trying to force him to burn up vacation time or sick time, so time off is no problem at all.

Is there anything different I should say?