View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bryanb1

Originally Posted by EST View Post
Bryan if you don't mind me asking... what happened after you threw her out? Did you ever get back together and did you ever hear if she had fully recovered?
Thank you for replying. Hearing other people's stories really honestly helps. I am so scared.
We are still talking to each other, but, for now, we are not a couple. This is not a discussion I am willing to have with her until I have some confidence that she will continue taking her recovery seriously. Additionally, I will not cohabitate with her again for at least a year.

My Ex is doing as well as she can right now. She just got her 30 day chip a couple days ago. She was really excited about it. She has been attending 2+ AA/NA meetings every single day. She has completely separated herself from anyone and everyone that she used to use or purchase drugs. Some days have been easier than others. On her last very difficult day she attended meetings for the entire day, one after another.

So far so good I guess.

I have stopped trying to view the goal as a full recovery. Addicts have a disease that will be with them forever. Its not a battle they win, but rather a battle they learn how to fight. Recovery is a process that must be worked, and it's most certainly not something that is done in 30 days.

A real difference between our situations, is my Ex took the first step by checking into a detox facility. She wants to get better, and it is reflected in her actions. I don't think your boyfriend is there yet. Until he is, you had better get out of his way, or he will drag you down with him.

I don't pressure her. I don't nag. I don't ask what she is doing. Its her journey. If she wants to get better, she has to do it for herself, not for me. Maybe down the road, we will find each other together again, maybe not. For me, I am not looking that far down the road. Like her, I am just taking it one day at a time, and focusing on making myself better.