Thread: Messed up again
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Isaiah
Dismember

Hello!

I've also got anxiety as well as depression. Getting sober was hard for me because I drank to get rid of the intense feelings I was having. One thing that helped me was to really acknowledge that what I was using for "medicine" in this case was only making me sicker in the long run. Alcohol is not like medicine as much as it's like a loan shark. You might get something good in the moment, but in time you're going to have to pay it back with a heavy interest. The calm and relief is only a debt you pay back later with worse symptoms.

It was hard to push through last time to a point where my anxiety started to lessen. Now it's at a level that's still hard, but it's one I can manage, unlike the anxiety I had when I was drinking. This was the best choice I could've made of the three options I had:

1. Get sober and suffer through some intense short term anxiety until my body/brain readjusted to a level where therapy skills, medication and recovery programs could really treat my anxiety.

2. Go between temporary relief with alcohol and intense anxiety when it wore off, and continue the process for the rest of my life.

3. Be drunk every second of the day. Would've lead to me either drinking myself into homelessness or an overdose.