Old 07-05-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sueski

There is only so much you can do for him - he has to do the heavy lifting in his own recovery. What are you doing to take care of YOU?

I totally get the blowing up. A few months ago, I wrestled a beer can out of my husband's hand. Not the best reaction. Plus, it was really messy!

Coming here is a really good start for you. You'll hear lots of different viewpoints, but most of all you will feel understood and supported. There is a lot of reading material, starting with Codependent No More by Melody Beattie. Many people swear by AlAnon. If you can swing it, individual counseling can be super helpful. Check out the 'stickies' at the top of the page. Tons of good stuff there, and you can always come back to it. The biggest thing to remember is that you can only control your own stuff. His stuff, it's HIS to control or not.

Talking with a good friend earlier today, we decided that I need to work on stepping around other people's s*** instead of stepping in it. That is a pretty good mental image for me to use and you're more than welcome to use it, too, if it helps! Take care.