Thread: Headlines
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 03:22 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Snowie71

When in Rome...

I think everyone should remember that MT is at university. The place where ALL are encouraged to devour information, to think critically and to question orthodoxy. When you are at university doing these things is your MO. And for the student, unlike life beyond university, there is a ready made benchmark for how you are doing, in terms of grades on papers, tutor feedback, and exam results. A student performing well vis-a-vis their peers or against that benchmark will have a natural, human, tendency to be pleased with their achievements to date and to feel confident to contradict or question. MT is in this place. Her "job" is to contradict and question. I really don't think this is a reason to treat her with a lack of basic respect.

On the flip side MT though, there is a fine line between "clever" and "clever dick". The problems, the crises and the sheer tragedies other posters have taken the time to post on your threads are real. They are "some day" events for you it seems. Possible maybe? Probable maybe? You do need to open your mind to what people are saying.

On the thorny issue of your communication style, I truly believe that the communication style of a student directly correlates to the topic they are majoring in. I majored in law and post-education my style was stilted, formal, precise. I actually write for a living now and it has been a long road to gain a flexibility to write in a way that is clear to all readers. My job involves writing practical guidance on abstruse legal and regulatory material and I have to say if you cannot get your point across clearly and unambiguously you will always meet with frustration or irritation. I would not have a job if I didn't have an eye to my readers needs.

I think Hammer has it bang on. No-one should be your editor, but be aware that you are asking your readers to operate some sort of parsing filter and much of your time if you post frequently will be spent clarifying, endlessly, what you have said. Something that is profound stays profound however it is couched. Something that is banal can't be rendered profound by selective word use, or over-use of adjectives. I don't think anyone should act as your editor MT, I think the opposite. I think you need to ease off on editing [/I]your own posts[/I]. Some sentences come off as non-sequiturs and I wonder if that is a result of too much adjusting what you've written before you click the "post" button? I could be totally wrong of course!!

Fundamentally there is nothing wrong, and everything to gain, on SR by speaking straightforwardly and simply from the heart. You've made some posters angry and upset by what is coming across as a glib dismissal of their personal pain. You are entitled to follow your own path but do bear in mind many people here have already been through the life stage you currently inhabit. I will it presume to offer suggestions on dealing with an alcoholic partner. Alcoholism is a family issue for me. But at the least you can look into the early protective action people are recommending for someone who is in their view demonstrating classic codependent traits.

I put a little "when in Rome" comment on the top. The meaning of the phrase "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" means it is polite and possibly also advantageous to abide by the customs of a society when one is a visitor (at least according to our UK Phrase Finder website :-) ). Why not follow that old proverb for a while and see where it takes you?

With all best wishes

snowie