View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Argnotthisagain

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
Thanks all. Yesterday I got another opportunity to put these very words in action. One of the programs I manage didn't get funded, after 6 years. The loss is not huge; no one loses their job over it. But the ripple effect will be felt much wider than a red line through a budget item in someone's fiscal report in my state government.

Lives won't be lost; children won't go hungry; careers aren't decimated because of it. But a good program ended yesterday, because someone "didn't like it". Yes, it really is that simple. My first response? "huh." and then "well, ok." I've been asked to appeal the decision, since the budget cuts targeted this one program only. But a big part of me doesn't want to bother with it.

It's been 24 hours since this happened, and I still think appealing isn't necessary. Similarly to trying to chase after alcoholics, saying the "magic words" in hopes to change perspectives and force our desired outcomes because we know best, this appeal would be simply to be "heard". To go on record defending a program others (with the power) decided wasn't worthy. If those who made the decision wanted input, I think they would have asked for that BEFORE the final decision was made. No one called me. I didn't even know the program itself was in jeopardy.

But things happen for a reason, and if I stand back and let this door close, I know now another will open. Even Steven, right? And I also know now karma will occur - the people who made the decision will at some point be challenged by the people who ultimately hold the purse strings (our state legislature) and this was a favorite. My appeal will be words on paper; the wrath of a legislator whose favorite program got cut is much more powerful.

One of the most impactful quotes I've taken away from this forum is "when you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change". By knowing now that no matter what, life marches on even if its not in a direction I want, with outcomes I'd prefer, I can "roll with it" instead of fight it every step of the way. And that at some point, down the road a bit (not in a 30 second sitcom clip) something will come about that will be a better investment of my time and my staff's time.

So folks, I'm glad you liked my analogies here, because although minor compared to some of the dire situations I've dealt with over the last few years, it shows me what 'letting go and letting God' really means. And that is actually a very simple and easy thing to do, when one chooses to do so. And it really is as simple as making a choice to view life differently. To have patience and faith.

* For clarification, and for folks who align the word "faith" with organized/structured religion, one of the synonymous for the word is CONFIDENCE. When I use the word 'faith', I use it with that definition in mind.

oh boy, this is excellent. Thank you Tuffgirl!!