View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bless5

I used to have a lot of anxiety, but it's almost completely gone these days. The first major change is my hubby has been sober 4 years now. That was a big contributor to my anxiety and I finally was ready to divorce if he didn't get sober, and I think he knew I was ready to bail. My RAH has also always has a lot of anxiety and depression. I told him I would stay in the marriage if he got sober and did everything in his power to be overcome it.

What has really helped us both is AA and AlAnon, eating a healthy diet, daily exercise where we get our heart rate up (doing a half marathon this fall), and honestly turning off most news. I can't hear all the horrible news 24/7, and listen to talking-heads bicker and stay joyful. I keep up with the big issues, but really limit my exposure. I can't watch violent tv either, as its hard for me to get it out of my head. I recently read that individuals that are prone to depression and anxiety are especially sensitive to negative information. Also, exercise is the closest thing to a wonder drug. Better than Prozac. That doesn't mean drugs don't have their place. I used something temporarily, but RAH has been on a antidepressant for years and will always have to take something. (But now it actually works since he's not mixing it with alcohol .

Hang in there. One day at a time, and sometimes one minute. Deep breaths!